The content on this website is the commentary and opinion of the author, compiled with the help of the news agencies.

02 March 2010


I was invited down to my local radio station last November, the day after Thierry Henry’s handball eliminated the Republic of Ireland from World Cup qualification. I’m sure you can imagine how the conversation went.

What I wasn’t expecting, however, was an evaluation of my apparel. Maybe it’s the fact that people who follow soccer tend to dress a little trendier than anyone else, but the co-host of the prime-time sports talk show interrupted my rant about video replay to comment on my shoes. I wasn’t expecting that. But maybe I should have been.

I was wearing a pair of red Puma v5.10 Salas from Soccerpro.com (and a matching Puma jacket). Each has an embroidered puma on the tongue, as well as on the inside of the shoe. The souls are made of non-marking rubber, which allows them to function equally as everyday trainers or competitive indoor soccer shoes.

The conversation left me thinking one of two things: either soccer people tend to wear nicer kicks than the general population, or non-soccer people have brutal attention spans. I think it might be a bit of both.

No comments: